The GOP has never been about the man. The pivot to a party of Trump and its cult of personality as a response to the identity politics of the past decade was something to behold. I myself have been caught up in it all too often. The policy achievements were astounding to behold but in the end the chaos at the capitol has undone the legacy of President Trump. I was a reluctant Trump voter who joined the Trumptrain somewhere around 2018 and I have now jumped off that train.
I am not ashamed of my decisions and actions and I am not to blame for the actions of the idiots at the capitol or the many #idiotsincharge all over DC but I am accountable for my example. I hope and believe that my words matter. I hope that some may listen to them, read them, and learn from them. I'm not an expert in politics, but I am experienced. From my corporate consulting career, to 25 years in music and worship ministry in churches of many denominations, the power versus authority struggle is never-ending. Decisions and actions are required as the train of grievances continues down the tracks.
What do I think should happen now?
1. President Trump should resign from office immediately hand the reins of power to VP Pence allowing for an honorable and truly peaceful transition of power devoid of the divisive and toxic rhetoric in the center of our national discussion.
2. The GOP should unite behind this action condemning the rhetoric of President Trump but applauding his policy achievements. We the people can focus on vaccine distribution and restoring trust in the election system... it will take time but it will unify and heal in action and achievement.
3. That same GOP must publicly do a mea culpa to its base for losing the Senate and the Presidency.. Yes the Dems will howl at their moon and take victory laps. The media will trumpet their victory and moral superiority, and the adults in the room will sit and take it allowing them to show their true partisanship and elitist nature.
4. The GOP minority would then be positioned to shift the national attention to the incoming Biden/Harris administration and what will happen in place of what did happen. The policy failures of the socialist democrats will become obvious soon enough. The slim margins should allow for solid obstruction of the most radical agenda items, and for a delay strategy.
5. The populists, conservatives, and libertarians should unite and take control of both the house and the senate in 2022 under the banner of a new GOP.. unified in purpose, policy, and principles.
It will take decades to undo this damage. We might as well start now.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Intersection of principles and practices...